Monday, October 19, 2009

A Moment of Gratitude

My oldest sister is suffering from both pneumonia and the H1N1 flu right now and I feel so bad for her. I know she is terribly sick and hope she gets better soon. Apparently, the rest of her family was able to get the vaccination and I am so grateful, especially since she has a toddler at home. I am praying that she recovers soon.

I took Ezra in for the second half of his flu shot today (you have to get it twice the first time you are vaccinated for the flu). They told me that they'd actually run out of flu shots and don't normally even start giving them out until October. Luckily, they were able to get some from another clinic. When I heard this news, I looked at my sweet little boy and felt profound gratitude. I felt so grateful that 1. Ella and I had our flu shots last month, 2. A second dose was available for Ezra and, 3. I live in a time when we are blessed with modern medicine and vaccines. I've heard and read several recommendations that everyone get a flu shot this year, even if they don't normally. Now it's just getting Dad in for his.

Everyone will make a choice about this flu shot, as well as the H1N1 vaccination, if and when it is available. I am not getting on my soap box here. Every individual and family will choose for themselves. Sometimes it simply feels good to express gratitude out loud (or on your blog). Today I am so grateful for my little family and to live in a time and place where we can be vaccinated if we choose.

No comments: