Wednesday, October 21, 2009

A Belated Anniversary Post for My Favorite Person




Tim and I celebrated our 5th Anniversary on September 4th and enjoyed a wonderful evening away together in St Louis (thanks Bryan and Heather!). We really needed to get away and simply focus on each other. I couldn't believe how physically relaxed we felt and looked after one evening celebrating our anniversary!

Awhile back, I wrote about how love songs in the car always make me think of Tim. I know it sounds a bit corny, but marrying Tim is the best choice I ever made! I love being married and Tim is my favorite person. For our five year anniversary, I thought it would be fun to compile a few poems and songs that always remind me of my husband.

I love you, Tim! Thanks for 5 incredible, joyful years together! This is my belated anniversary note to you:

The Shirt by Jane Kenyon 
When I first read this poem in college, it took my breath away with its brevity and sensuality. It expresses so much of how I feel about you in so few words.

The shirt touches his neck
and smooths over his back.
It slides down his sides.
It even goes down below his belt—
down into his pants.
Lucky shirt.

From "It Feels Like Today" by Rascall Flats
From our wedding video - I always imagine us walking out of the temple, grinning, when I hear this song. I can feel the thrill of the moment again and the incredible joy I felt holding your hand, standing next to you, knowing we were married for eternity.

I Woke up this morning
With this feeling inside me that I can't explain
like a weight that I've carried
Been carried away, away

But I know something is coming
I don't know what it is
But I know it's amazing, you save me
My time is coming
And I'll find my way out of this longest drought...

It feels like today I know
It feels like today I'm sure
It's the one thing that's missin'
The one thing I'm wishin'
Life's sacred blessin' and then
It feels like today
Feels like today

XLIII. "How do I love thee? Let me count the ways..." by Elizabeth Barrett Browning

Elizabeth's sonnet for Robert expresses the way I feel for you so eloquently...

How do I love thee? Let me count the ways.
I love thee to the depth and breadth and height
My soul can reach, when feeling out of sight
For the ends of Being and ideal Grace.
I love thee to the level of everyday's
Most quiet need, by sun and candle-light.
I love thee freely, as men strive for Right;
I love thee purely, as they turn from Praise.
I love thee with a passion put to use
In my old griefs, and with my childhood's faith.
I love thee with a love I seemed to lose
With my lost saints, --- I love thee with the breath,
Smiles, tears, of all my life! --- and, if God choose,
I shall but love thee better after death.

From "Accidentally in Love" by Counting Crows 
This somehow became "our song" in a way and it always reminds me of you. I want to crank it up whenever I hear it and I miss having it as "your" ring tone.

So I said, "I'm a snowball running"
Running down into the spring
That's coming all this love melting under
Blue skies belting out sunlight, shimmering love

Well baby I surrender to the strawberry ice cream
Never ever end of all this love
Well I didn't mean to do it
But there's no escaping your love

These lines of lightning
Mean we're never alone
Never alone, no, no

Come on, come on
Move a little closer
Come on, come on
I want to hear you whisper
Come on, come on
Settle down inside my love

Come on, come on
Jump a little higher
Come on, come on
If you feel a little lighter
Come on, come on
We were once upon a time in love

We're accidentally in love

From a Fortune Cookie at our Wedding:
Wise words that appealed to me then, but mean much more to me now.

Love does not consist of gazing at each other,
but looking outward in the same direction.
~ Antoine de Saint-Exupery ~

Love,

Mindy

1 comment:

Muthering Heights said...

Happy belated anniversary! :)