Friday, August 15, 2008

Ella Anecdotes

You'll have to indulge me today. I have a few cute Ella anecdotes that I thought it would be fun to share.
The other morning, I poured our cereal and sat down to have breakfast with Ella. Before she started eating, she looked at me and said, "pray." I was so excited because I've been trying to build the habit of praying before meals for both of us. It was so sweet to see that she knew this was the way we started our day.
Generally, Ella sleeps through the night. In fact, I don't think we could have a better sleeper (no, she's not perfect, but we really appreciate this part of her personality). The other morning, she woke up at about 5:45 fussing. I decided to try and let her soothe herself back to sleep. When she didn't settle down, I went in to check on her. The poor thing had her left arm looped through the crib bars and couldn't get it out. She was repeating to herself, "It's ok. It's ok." She smiled when she saw me and was more upset that it wasn't time to get up than she was about her arm!
Every day, she comes up with a new word or two: it's incredible. Yesterday, she pointed at a picture of Tim and I and said, "I see Daddy, Momma." She is such a delight and I love how much her vocabulary and comprehension grows each week. I am so excited for her 2nd birthday!
I can't get pictures to work with my blog right now, but will add some later.

3 comments:

Rebecca Pierce said...

Love the Ellaisms. Love two year olds! All the new words and understandings, that communication that was always there, just not so literal! Thanks for sharing! Did I really beat Jeff to commenting?

Jeff Hamm said...

Cute stuff! She's talking more than our grunting/nonverbal 2.5 yr old.

Rebecca Pierce said...

So...I wish I had known that I didn't want to be a housewife when I was engaged! It took YEARS to finally get Chris (really both of us, I was a little slow to validate my own feelings on this) to understand that I did not ever sit around as a little girl and dream of cleaning toilets, making and cleaning up dinner, doing laundry, etc. I think I thought I'd just grow that interest when I got to stay home, but no such luck. Once I figured out that being a teacher, playmate, dietician, soother, etc. was enough, and I could formulate some articulate arguments for my lacking in the housecleaning department, I was good to go. Anyway, it was such a hard thing to negotiate, in my own mind, I had to comment. Still a process, though after seven years I'd say Chris has pretty well trained me to at least do some damage control, you know, don't get lunch out until breakfast is put away. That kind of thing. I was a really rough draft in that area. What a good man I got, because he comes home and sweeps, vacuums, mops and puts toys away...we do it together.