Monday, June 2, 2008

I can't believe I'm doing this...

Well I figured since this is a family blog maybe I (Tim) should do my part to contribute and get in on the blogging craze at the same time. Anyway, I must be getting old, because I never thought in a million years that I would ever be interested in making a garden. I spent enough tortuous days helping my mom in her garden when I was a kid that it never occurred to me that the desire hadn't been completely eradicated from my soul. I guess even those BACKBREAKING, HOT summer days of rototilling, digging postholes, weeding, etc. couldn't compete when the whole "be prepared" bit finally decided to hit home for me. So I decided to try this squarefoot gardening thing. It ended up costing us more money than I wanted but hopefully it will require almost zero labor to come.

I built this wooden frame first. The chicken wire cage thing is to keep the rabbits out and can easily be lifted off the top of the frame.



Then I covered the bottom with landscaping cloth, and then proceeded to build our own soil (one part peat moss, one part compost, and one part vermiculite). Then we planted a bunch of different stuff, one thing in each sqare. I've told myself that if this garden doesn't produce a whole farm's worth of veggies, I'm never doing it again, but I hear that this is one of the easiest ways to get a whole lot of harvest with hardly any effort. The setup was hard but since then we havent done a single thing to it (it's been raining here every other day or so so we haven't even had to water), and things are starting to sprout! I can see a tasty, organic-vegetable filled future for our family! After one week of doing absolutely nothing, this is what it looked like (except for the tomato plant; we bought it like that):



And the next day (today):



I hope soon we have more veggies than we know what to do with!

2 comments:

Jeff Hamm said...

We've had to put lot's of work (weeding!) into ours, but hopefully it bears fruits and veggies!

The Farmers said...

Did you guys do the squarefoot thing too?